Sunday 8 January 2017

I've survived the rhino attack

Peaceful Rhinos,
weigh up to 2 tons, over 1.5 m high
Only 2 people a year are actually killed by Rhinos. No, I've survived the greater hazard that comes from the common cold, caused by another Rhino, a rhinovirus. It is estimated that in the US alone, 4500 deaths are caused by the common cold, and the overall cost to the economy is in billions on pounds/dollars globally.

Rhinovirus, 0.000,000,03 m diameter
source http://www.virology.wisc.edu/virusworld
I tried to get my head around the size of these small viruses. They are only 30 nm in diameter - I'm 64 million times bigger! If a virus was my size, then I'd reach one third of the way to the moon. Due to the lack of oxygen in space, the feeling would not be dissimilar from the asphyxiating effect of the bunged up cold I've just got over.

Still, I took the day gently, doing photo-editing of a cabbage white caterpillar's left hind false leg, from a slide sent to me, 266 photos combined in 10 stacks and then 1 panorama. It looks like some sort of surreal volcano landscape - see picture below. Also continued with the museum web project, again, mainly image editing.
Detail of claws on the proleg of a Pieris caterpillar (Cabbage white family)
Our Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Boris Johnson has made a pilgrimage to the Trump Tower to talk to Acolytes of the President elect but apparently not meeting him directly. News media agog with soundbites of Prime Minister Theresa May's interview with Sophy Ridge on Sky.

I checked out the full 20 minute interview. Full of positive sounding comments on a range of issues, from caring conservatism to impending Brexit. Confirms we will be exiting the EU but not really saying anything more about what this means! Apparently the BBC was snubbed for Sky - well, look on the bright side - 20 minutes available for other real news? Oh no, its analysis of the Sky interview!



No comments:

Post a Comment