Saturday 15 July 2017

Open Studio and The MAZE OF DOOOM!


Stuff Brexit and Trump for the day. After a quiet morning, an artist friend dropped by, with two quiet children in tow, obviously a bit intimidated by all the strangers in a strange place. So I put the stereomicroscope on the ground for easier access and backed off leaving them to it, thinking, this was a time to draw a new maze on the road outside the studio as it had been a hit with children last week.

Chalk, drawing - it was a magnet. And at my suggestion they could draw whatever they wanted, as long as I could complete the inside of the maze, the two artist recruits began to join in with increasing enthusiasm. They tested the final design - finding mistakes I had to correct. They helpfully labelled the exit EXIT and as I walked back, the girl was just writing WELCOME below the entrance, so that there was NO doubt of where to start.

Suddenly, a clear child's voice rang out sonorously declaring- "WELCOME, TO THE MAZE OF DOOOM!"

That made my day.

When they had gone, I went to check the dramatically enhanced and extended artwork around the maze. It appeared to have been renamed The Maze Of Delite - I suspect a guilty parental influence there. There was also an additional maze - with a trick entrance - and a complete Wordsearch themed on our studio, with helpful suggestions for the words we should be looking for.

Now, in my heart (and perhaps still secretly in their  minds) I am still the proud owner of the Hall End 'Maze of DOOOM!'

Until the rain comes and washes it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment