Thursday 18 July 2019

Mad Don and Kipper-waving Boris - Our future?

Mad Don "Oh! I fear it is stronger rooted than I expected but with the assistance of my friend and a little more Brandy I will bring it down." The Devil "Pull away, Pull away my son, don't fear, I'll give you all my assistance."

Substitute 'Hate' for 'Brandy', and this 19th century US cartoon suddenly represents the ignominious language and demagoguery we see coming across the Atlantic.

I've been discouraged from writing this blog because of the increasing insanity both here and across the pond. The blatantly racist attack by the President - THE PRESIDENT! - against congresswomen of colour and the enthusiastic chants of "Send her back" about a citizen of the US who dares to not only express different views to Trump but also criticise him. The future of a once great democracy looks bleak indeed.

Not that it is any better here in the UK where the future of our country is going to be determined by a kipper waving Boris with scant regard for any inconvenient truths, economically or otherwise. Friends abroad look on disbelievingly and aghast as we are cheerily led to a mad lemming rush over the cliff of a hard Brexit.

It's off to London on Saturday for the "March for change" against Brexit.

No comments:

Post a Comment